Christmas in Chesterfield 2019
Christmas is just around the corner and, while that may be a scary thought, Chesterfield is fully geared up for the festive period and everything that comes with it.
Not only have we got Chatsworth, Matlock and Bakewell all close by, but the plethora of events and activities in Chesterfield itself is more than enough to warrant a visit this Christmas.
We’ve compiled a list of 10 festive events, festivals, markets and activities that will help make your weekends in Chesterfield and the Peak District that bit more special.
1. Chesterfield Christmas Lights Switch On and Market - Come and see the streets of Chesterfield light up at the annual event, hosted by Peak FM presenters and the stars of this year’s Jack and the Beanstalk pantomime at The Pomegranate Theatre. Stalls, games and rides make this family-friendly event one not to be missed.
2. Santa’s Grotto - What’s Christmas without the man himself… bring the young ones to see Santa at Chesterfield Market Hall for a chat and a present. He’ll be around from Sunday 17 November on selected dates until Christmas Eve.
3. A Festival of Christmas Trees - At the town’s famous Crooked Spire Church, businesses, organisations and individuals will be decorating Christmas trees in innovative ways to catch your attention. Last year’s event saw more than 100 Christmas trees displayed at the church and this year there will be even more!
4. West Studios Christmas Pop Up Market – When you shop at the pop up market at West Studios, not only will you have access to a a wide selection of handmade Christmas gifts and cards, but you will also be supporting local, independent producers. Hosted by Creative Colours, a Derbyshire-based fashion and beauty consultant, this market is set to be flooded with unique gifts ready for the festive period.
5. Chesterfield Artisan Market (Christmas Special) - Sticking to the market theme, why not pay a visit to Chesterfield’s very own Christmas market with an artisan theme. The normal Artisan Market, which has become incredibly popular, runs on the last Sunday of the month and consists of over 80 high-quality Artisan traders. The Christmas-themed variation of the market will be taking place on Sunday 22 December - great for last minute present buying…
6. Pantomime - Jack & the Beanstalk - It’s behind you! What’s Christmas without a visit to the local Pantomime? This year, the world-famous fairytale of Jack and the Beanstalk will be perfect at The Pomegranate Theatre. With Lee Latchford-Evans from pop super-group Steps headlining the cast, it’s set to be a great recreation of the magical tale.
7. Santa Special Canal Cruise - The popular trips on the Chesterfield Canal are even more special at Christmas time because… Santa will be joining you on board. He’ll be swapping his sleigh for the John Varley tripboat handing out presents to children as they cruise along one of the UK’s most scenic waterways.
8. Eat at Lombardis - There are certain foods we all love to indulge in at Christmas time: mince pies, turkey, maybe even Brussel sprouts! Why not swap out the traditional grub just for one night and enjoy the fantastic dining experience at Chesterfield’s Restaurant of the Year for 2019 - Lombardis Italian Restaurant.
9. Wreath making workshop - Need some fresh decorations for the festive period? Why not make your own at Dobbies Garden Centre based in Barlborough? You’ll be using fresh foliage, dried fruits, pinecones, Christmas embellishments and handmade bows to create your very own wreath. Suitable for all abilities, this is a great activity for the whole family.
10. Shop at The Shambles - One of Chesterfield’s many hidden gems, The Shambles is home to a number of brilliant independent shops - most notably, Chesterfield’s Retailer of the Year for 2019, Adorn Jewellers. If you’re looking for high-quality, unique jewellery that is sure to put a smile on a loved-one’s face this Christmas - look no further than the multi-award winning Adorn.
If you’re visiting Chesterfield from further afield during Christmas and looking for a place to stay, the town has a great accommodation offering. From four-star hotels such as Casa Hotel, to cosier B&Bs like Stephenson’s Bed and Breakfast, there’s something to suit every taste and budget.
Earlier this year a brand new Premier Inn has also opened for business as part of the Elder Way development and, based right in Chesterfield’s town centre; it is a great base for exploring the town. Further hotel accommodation will be added to Chesterfield’s offering with the addition of an 84-bed hotel in the Basin Square neighbourhood at Chesterfield Waterside.
These are just a handful of the events in Chesterfield and the Peak District over the festive period. To see the full list of events taking place, please visit here.